Monday, November 29, 2010

New Station

I first heard rumors of a new station back in 2005.  Originally built as a firehouse back in World War II, the station I work out of started life as a single purpose fire house.  It became an EMS house around the time I was born, and it was pretty decrepit back then.  In early 2005, the brass finally decided our home was no longer suitable for occupation.

After endless debate by the Board of Aldermen, Environmental Impact Reports, a drawn out RFP/bidding process, union foot dragging, construction delays, supplier shortfalls, bad weather and a number of zombie attacks, our new station is projected to open on Wednesday.

I'm on my days off, and come back in on Thursday morning.  I'm so thankful to miss all the hoopla, pomp and circumstance that'll come along with opening day.

The new station looks something like this:


You'll have to excuse the architectural liberty here; apparently the architect thought he was building a station in Pleasantville or something. 

The neighborhood gentrification projects have made the area nice, but it's not as nice as this rendering would have you believe.  Regardless, though, I'm not gonna lie -- it looks pretty nice.  We'll run two squads and have an EMS captain in the house.  It'll be interesting having the boss around all day, but (at least on my tour) he's a good guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment